A quick review of the pachyderm’s cross-country ruckus:
- Days 1 and 2: Tufts, Harvard, MIT; Make Way for Ducklings in Boston Common; Faneuil Hall for some North End pizza; Freedom Trail; Cape Cod.
- Day 3: Boston to Philadephia. Learned that Philadephia has some pretty good Indian food and Irish pubs.
- .Day 4: Philadelphia Museum of Art for an amazing Latin Tresors exhibit; cheesesteaks for the non-grass eaters; Independence Hall; failed attempt to make it into Times Square for New Years, so greeted 2007 in Philadelphia.
- Day 5: New Jersey to Columbus, Ohio, via Hershey Park, which made this theobromophile happy.
- Day 6: Ohio to Indianapolis. Saw the world’s largest Christmas tree in Monument Circle while savouring some excellent Mexican hot chocolate.
- Day 7: Indianapolis to Hartsburg, Missouri. Took a lap around the Indy 500 track and meandered through the Speedway museum. Then, it was off to Vandalia to see the old Illinois Capitol. Since that wasn’t enough for a day, various pachyderms & friend trekked across the Mississippi River, visited the St. Louis Arch (via tram to the top!), saw the historic courthouse where Dred Scott was decided, and then went to a riverboat casino.
- Day 8: Jefferson City, Missouri, for a tour of the capitol building.
- Day 9: Hartsburg, Missouri, to Fort Worth, Texas. Pachyderms and Volvo went along Route 66 through Missouri, Kansas, and parts of Oklahoma.
- Day 10: Fort Worth ruckus: family, new Bass Opera House, French bistro, and the Fort Worth Stockyards.
- Day 11: Fort Worth to Las Cruces, New Mexico. Stopped in El Paso for margaritas and the last Dunkin Donuts to be seen on the drive.
- Day 12: Las Cruces, New Mexico, to San Diego, California, with a stop in Old Tucson.